Monday, April 12, 2010

Shredded Pork Barbecue Sandwiches

I love a good BBQ sandwich, there's just something about it that I can hardly pass up! But, I've never made one before Saturday because I just assumed it was one of those things that I wouldn't be able to duplicate at home. On Saturday my Grandfather drove 4 and a half hours with his girlfriend to come and visit me and my family. The night before he came, Jamie (my husband) and I stayed up until 4 a.m. pricing clothes for a giant yard sale at the multi purpose center here. We woke up at 5:40 and loaded up all of our stuff so we could have it unloaded and out to sell by 8. There were thousands of people there! We were swamped, and so tired. It was one of the most exhausting experiences of my life. Then, I rushed home to put Madelyn down for a nap and to prepare a meal for my sweet grandfather. I cooked 3 pork tenderloins to have the recipe I posted before this, pork sandwiches with spicy spread. I had so much pork tenderloin left over that I had to figure out what to do with it! It shredded so easily because of the way that I cooked it so it was clear what I had to do!! I'll pass it on in case anyone is like me and didn't realize how easy it was!!!!


Shredded Pork Barbecue Sandwiches

Pork tenderloin
marinade (I used soy sauce, lemon juice and garlic - you use whatever you like)

Wrap in tinfoil after marinating and bake at 375 for about an hour and 15 minutes (35 minutes per pound of meat) and then when it's through, turn the oven off but let it sit in there for as long as you can - but 2 or 3 hours really makes it tender. It should shred easily with a fork after that. Then you can mix it with the barbecue sauce.

for the sauce

1 cup of vinegar (I used white - some recipes said apple cider and a few said to use both)
2 tbspns brown sugar
1 to 1/2 cup of ketchup
Worcestershire sauce (I think about a tbsp)
1 tbsp ground mustard
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Add a little water if this is too tart

Mix it all together and mop it up with the shredded pork. It was so good and it made plenty! The sauce will be a little thin, but that's good because the shredded meat soaks it up really well and it doesn't get "gunky".


I served it with a yellow potato salad that I love but I just throw it together and I never measure anything, I just mix until it tastes good, so I couldn't give a proper recipe for it. But, I did just boil potatoes (I used yukon gold but I usually do red potatoes) about 6 of them and I mix in light mayonnaise, mustard, cubed dill pickles, (crumbled bacon and/or boiled eggs are good too but I didn't have any) garlic salt and if it isn't tart enough, I add a little of that juice from those spicy pickles from Vlasic, I think?

Anyway, I know this is a silly and easy recipe but if it inspires someone to use left over pork this way, then I guess it was worth posting!

No comments:

Post a Comment